Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 55

Thread: What would you like in a new camera?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member jocko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2nd, 2001
    Posts
    90
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Man...My buddy shot a Music video and he rented the Aaton A-minima...WOW!! that camera is the best.It is small but talk about a camera having everything..I love the 200ft daylight loads..super-16..I went home and dreamed about that camera.........features.on a new super-8 camera..200ft magazine.... hey Aaton..make us an A-minima in SUPER-8..for under 2000.00..call it the
    A- microma!

    Neil
    JOCKO FILMS

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Carlos8's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 3rd, 2000
    Posts
    93
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb

    Dream, dream, dream...
    I see in my dreams myself with a new Super8 camera who records digital sound in the same film!
    I hope these dreams came true soon!

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Carlos8's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 3rd, 2000
    Posts
    93
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    Oops!
    I agree with Jocko...
    Aaton, give a little sister to Minima!
    Wow man, I imagine it!

    Carlos

  4. #4
    Inactive Member trevorbr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9th, 2001
    Posts
    40
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I do realize that this topic is rather flighty, but for me interesting none the less. I was thinking of how limited I felt single system sound was in terms of fidelity and editng, and then I had the notion of a new breed of camera (I don't think Beaulieu will jump at this one smile
    I am a big supporter of the MiniDisc format and it also seems to be the format of choice for budget filmmakeres. So the idea of a new camera that has an integrated Minidisc recorder seemed like a nice, self- contained, single system aproach. Not very cost effective, but useful I think.
    For the solo filmmaker, an integrated mic could be used or a mini boom atatchment and external mic input. The audio input monitor could be a small L.E.D. type bar graph meter or a simple multi colored L.E.D. seen through the view finder, view at will of course.
    Perhaps the use of the second MD track for timecode could be implemented. I don't know if this would be usefull without a method for marking the film, just a thought. I'm not a pro user so I can live with tweaking audio in the computer.
    Definitly have an interchangable lens mount, C mount or Nikkon.... something with high quality, modern optics/options (auto focus, power zoom etc.) I would also like to see f/stop and shutter speed through the viewfinder, perhaps even fps.
    I just had another "brain storm." To save on intial cost, instead of an integrated MD recorder, add a remote control interface to the camera that could be programed to control the MD recorder (like the cheezy stick remotes that come with MD walkmans.) The camera could have an audio output to feed the recorder, this would require calibration before filming.
    I'm sorry for rambling. I was recently looking at Aaton's A-Minima. After wiping the drool from my mouth I began to think of the potential super 8 really has.
    I want to hear what everyone would like in a dream camera. I particularly am interested in the pros ideas. Alex? Pedro? Anyone?....Bueller?
    I have the sudden compulsion to order film now. I look forward to your ideas smile

    -trevor

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Jon P's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2001
    Posts
    92
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Super 8 with a monitor out-put that showed you what you were getting. 100-200 ft Magazines. Manual apeture ring behind the zoom ring.
    Oh my god I have been using video for too long!

  6. #6
    Inactive Member crimsonson's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 24th, 2001
    Posts
    94
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Specs for my Dream camera:

    Interchangeable lens / thinking about prime lens makes me horny and my girlfrined wet

    Real Shutter control with marked spots and at least 180 Degrees

    Self lit viewfinder on the side of the camera not at the back and removable for video tap.

    Better handle design

    Quiter cameras

    200ft capability (and the stock to go with it)

    Video tap capability and not between the lens and body

    digital display for settings, frames, etc.


    Crystal sync ready

    tripod plate screw in the right place so the camera is balanced correctly (there are several great s8 cams out there with terrible screw placement - ie Nikon r10 with that fixed handle).

    In my opinion a a boom grip and a quiter camera is all the amenities a camera should have for sound. Because

    1. Even if you have the ability to visually monitor sound it would be so inconvinient/impossible to adjust sound while you focus, pan/ pull, compose, etc.... If you are going solo go with Automoatic Volume level control. Even solo video shooters leave the sound at auto. It is impossible to get good pictures and fidling with the sound at the same time.

    2. MDs, DATs and mixers can be place on a pouch on front of you- like a kangaroo or pros sound people do.

    Well thats it.... I am sure tons more later or I could always just buy at s16 and move on. Fu@k I hate when my thought process ends up costing me $15,000.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Actor's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 9th, 2000
    Posts
    622
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>Rotating mirror SLR viewfinding
    <LI>Right on TTL metering, including color temp
    <LI>Fully manual f/stop with option for automatic
    <LI>Variable shutter angle
    <LI>Frame rate of 0.001 to 64 fps in steps of 0.001 fps. Crystal sync. Single frame available. 24 fps selectable with one button
    <LI>Built in video tap
    <LI>Accepts Pentax bayonet lenses
    <LI>Internal anamorphic lens, including anti-anamorphic viewfinder/video tap. Compression ratios of 2:1, 1.75:1, 1.5:1, 1.25:1 and 1:1 are switch selectable.
    <LI>Pilotone output
    <LI>PC connection
    <LI>LCD frame counter
    <LI>Backwind capability
    <LI>Holds up to four 50 ft cartridges at once. When one cartridge rolls out the next starts seamlessly. Automatic flash marking of end of one cartridge and start of next.
    <LI>Frame numbers recorded between perforations[/list]

    [This message has been edited by Actor (edited June 22, 2001).]

  8. #8
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Everyone's ideas!....all packed into modules that would clip into the side panel of the camera...

    The buttons and knobs on the module would be assignable to the function you need for that moment in time.

    Progammable "cards" would then be inserted into the module.

    These "cards" would program the buttons on the module to do specific functions.

    Plus a moveable viewfinder, interchangeable lenses, a quiet motor,...and we would be set.

    -Alex

    [This message has been edited by Alex (edited June 28, 2001).]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member jocko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2nd, 2001
    Posts
    90
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Shoot...like a kid on christmas morning..all the cool things you wanted...but you get nothing..all great idea's..alex is on the mark..have all options on boards that what ever you need you can add it...but being that super-8 is the red haired step child of the "film community"..I doubt we'll ever see our dream camera..
    Neil
    JOCKO FILMS

  10. #10
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crimsonson:
    Specs for my Dream camera:

    Interchangeable lens / thinking about prime lens makes me horny and my girlfrined wet
    .
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Maybe you should include water proof wink

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •